Monday, March 17, 2008

Sad day



One of the best things about living in New Jersey is that we have tons of options for amazing bagels. Like if you live more than 75 miles outside of the NY metro area, you most likely don't know what a bagel should taste like. The price of flour is on the rise! And with the $3 slice, also comes the 90 cent bagel! The place I get my bagels at previously charged $8/dozen, and now I'm paying close to $11! This is going to make a major difference in my nonexistent monthly budget! And I can forget about the baker's dozen they used to give me, which is still actually printed in the menu, but I never get, and I feel weird asking for, even though I'm a much more assertive person than I used to be. These people are dealing with the flour shortage, after all!

Because I frequently buy and eat bagels, another large part of my life is spent buying cream cheese. It's out of control! It seems like I'm seriously making special trips to the fancy Hoboken grocery stores for more cream cheese 2x a week (at $3 a brick!) because I'm about to run out, Katie can tell you that this is true.

I actually think I might need to start a BJs membership even if it's only for cream cheese and pickles. Does anyone go there who could tell me if they sell half-gallon tubs or anything like that? Or maybe I should just buy a cow so I can make it myself. That could definitely be cheaper, after all, Matt does have a backyard.

One time someone bought Matt a children's book for Christmas called "I Like Bagels," as a joke because he's Jewish, but little do they know that he actually LOVES bagels, and I look at the photos in the book all the time!

I'm trying to make an effort to cook with foods I haven't before. Hence the kale and chard adventures. I bought butternut squash yesterday, and I'm searching for a recipe now. Just from searching, it seems like you're supposed to make soup with it, which I'm not really feeling for this week. I'll probably make this since I have all the ingredients and I love roasted vegetables, and it will be simple and great.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love making this awesome pasta salad with butternut squash. It also makes AWESOME leftovers.

http://sassy-red-head.livejournal.com/283561.html

anna said...

Mmmm. That looks great, and yummy leftovers are very important because my dinners are always lunch for the next day.

THANKS!

Unknown said...

you know, you labeled this post "sad day," but i'm only reading about things that are awesome in your life ... like the high availability of amazing bagels, as well as books of beautiful photos of bagels. i think you should change the title to "bagels are more important than money to me"
thanks

TG said...

I'm not sure if BJs sells tubs of cream cheese, but you can definitely buy bulk packages for a lot cheaper, collectively, than the semi-weekly trips to the Hoboken grocery store. You should definitely look into a membership. I'd even go halfsies on the membership fee if you want to start doing BJs trips! Think of all the bulk stuff we could split between our apartments! Think about it... ;)

anna said...

Yes Tom! I totally want to do that!

TG said...

Yesssss. It won't cost us much to split the membership... http://www.bjs.com/join/index.shtml

Maize said...

Someone needs to get me a book called "I LOVE Anna: 'Because her blog is awesome' and the 23245 other reasons!"

You're making me homesick. And hungry...