Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Take that, Claire!

I talked to my sister on my walk home from work yesterday about the issue of Obama's pastor's "controversial" viewpoints and remarks. She said it's worrisome to her that he would associate himself with such a person and that he wouldn't renounce him like John McCain apparently did in a similar situation. I disagreed. I think it's an entirely too-simplistic take on the issues. Race plays a big part here. Angry-sounding black men scare a lot of people in this country, they don't understand the origins or reasons for the anger. Obama is not appointing this man to his cabinet. This is a complicated issue that deserved an in-depth response.

When I made it home, I watched Obama's response on YouTube (transcript).

Just perfect. When in my life have we heard politicians speak to the American people like this? He took the issue so far and said some really brutally honest things that anyone else would not have touched with a ten-foot pole. I think it's really important that we have a leader who can address tough issues so diplomatically but not to alienate anyone.

Not that I want to compare the two issues directly, but Hillary has not addressed the sexism she faces in such a way that could truly lead to greater understanding on all sides (which, I think is equally deserving of such attention), nor do I think she is capable of doing that. She is playing a game, and that's fine, it works sometimes.

3 comments:

See Elle Oh said...

I've read excerpts, skipped around in the speech. I've probably read most of it by now.

I get goosebumps and I get choked up.

And I think that if we don't make this man our next President there is seriously something wrong with us.

Unknown said...

so heres the deal (in combined order of importance and chronology): you dont know me, im a friend of toms, he started a blog, i read his blog, he linked to your blog, i read your blog, you seem intelligent, slate.com posted this editorial last week on hillary's lack of any controversy-inducing gender speech a la obama's "a more perfect union" that seems particularly relevant given your blog post, i read that article, i tell you about it in a long-winded run-on sentence (see above), i figured if you didnt read it then you should at least be given the opportunity, and heck why not: any friend of toms is a friend of mine.

hope that wasnt weird.

regards,
jon louie

http://www.slate.com/id/2187189/

anna said...

I wish blogger let us respond to comments. THANKS Jon! This was great, and I've been gone for a week, so I missed it.

I'm also glad to see that Tom's friends he always talks about are looking less and less imaginary. :-P

P.S. You should start a blog too.